Friday, January 24, 2025

Fall Veggie Sheet Pan Dinner with Maple Mustard Sauce


 Ingredients:

  • 12 ounces Italian chicken sausage or sausage of choice, cut into 1/4 inch slices (See my note below ingredients.)
  • 2 cups Brussels sprouts, roughly chopped (I bought a one pound bag and cut the Brussels into halves.)
  • 1 medium sweet potato, diced (I peeled mine; original recipe does not.)
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced (I very thinly sliced mine into half moons.)
  • 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • Generous drizzle of Maple Mustard Sauce
  • Steamed quinoa, to serve (optional)

This is the chicken sausage I use (see above picture).  For as long as it is sold at Costco, I will never use anything differently; it's the best.  For this recipe, four of these links are about equal to 12 ounces.

Maple Mustard Sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons pure (real) maple syrup
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (I used frozen Dorot.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1-2 tablespoons water, (optional)


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine sausage of choice, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, onion, and walnuts.  (I like to mix olive oil and spices together before next step...)
  2. Toss ingredients in the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and pepper until evenly coated, and transfer to a large sheet pan.  To ensure everything gets crispy, spread the ingredients out as evenly as possible on the sheet pan. (It won't look very "coated," but it doesn't need to be; the Maple Mustard Sauce will help that!)  Bake for about 30-45 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender when pierced with a fork.
  3. While it bakes, make the Maple Mustard Sauce. Whisk together all ingredients and if needed, add a tablespoon or two of water to thin out the sauce.
  4. Remove the sheet pan from oven and toss medley with a spatula.  Top with Parmesan and if needed, add a pinch or two of salt and pepper.  If desired, serve on a bed of quinoa with a generous drizzle of sauce!  (Personally, I would NOT pour the sauce over the entire sheet pan.  I would drizzle the sauce on each plate after serving, especially for leftover purposes.)  

*www.broccyourbody.com