This is absolutely so delicious.
Forewarn: It's a lot of dicing, but well-worth it.
I made some adaptations to the original recipe, but I'm sure the original is just as yummy.
Ingredients:
- 6 cups fresh sturdy vegetables, chopped (red or yellow peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, etc.) (I used one red and yellow pepper, carrots, and broccoli.)
- 1½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt (more to taste)
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles (My grocery store did not have these, so I used precooked lasagna noodles.)
- 1 jar spaghetti or marinara sauce (or homemade, of course)
- 1⅔ cups ricotta cheese (I used part-skim. Whole milk tends to get runny when cooked.)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used more...just saying.)
Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the chopped vegetables with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon of the salt and arrange on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes or longer, until soft and lightly browned. (Mine took 30 minutes.) Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While veggies roast, saute the onion and garlic in ½ tablespoon olive oil until translucent. (I added the garlic with about one minute of cook time left on the onions.) Following, add onions and garlic to the roasted vegetable mixture. Stir the beaten egg in with the ricotta cheese and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a glass 9×9 baking dish, pour a few spoonfuls of sauce into the pan and spread it around to prevent the noodles from sticking. To give you a heads up, you'll only need two layers, so...Layer ingredients in the following order: noodles, ricotta (1/2 of the mixture for each layer), vegetables (1/2 of mixture for each layer), sauce. End with a layer of noodles and cover them with another few tablespoons of sauce. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.
- Cover with well-oiled aluminum foil so the cheese doesn’t stick to the foil. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until the entire pan is bubbling and the cheese is melted. If you want, remove the foil during the last 10 minutes of baking to help the cheese melt or brown. (You could even use the broiler for a few minutes, but be sure to regularly monitor.) Let stand for at least 15 minutes so that the individual pieces hold together. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Cut into 9 slices and serve.
*www.pinchofyum.com
