Wednesday, October 15, 2025

Chicken Gyro Marinade


Ingredients: 

  • 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2" even thickness
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced (I used frozen cubes.)
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used Baker and Olive lemon-infused balsamic.)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice (I used one whole lemon.)
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon EACH cumin, dried basil, onion powder, sugar, salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon EACH black pepper and paprika
  • flatbreads, naan, pitas
  • roma tomatoes
  • cucumbers
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (I made mine pickled!)
  • chopped romaine lettuce
  • feta (or desired cheese)
  • tzatziki sauce

Directions:

1. Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients (olive oil to paprika) in a shallow bowl or large freezer bag and add chicken. Marinate 4-8 hours in the refrigerator. Do not marinade longer than 8 hours.

2. Remove chicken from fridge and let sit at room temperature 20-30 minutes before grilling.

    GRILL DIRECTIONS:

    1. Grease and preheat the grill to medium-high heat, 400-450°F.

    2. Grill chicken undisturbed for 5-7 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. (An inserted thermometer should read 165 degrees F.) Remove chicken from grill and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. 
    3. Top pitas with chicken and desired toppings (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, and tzatziki sauce.


    *www.carlsbadcravings.com