Monday, October 3, 2016

Broccoli Cheddar Bites



Ingredients:
  • 1 large bunch of broccoli florets (I bought two medium-sized.) *Update: I bought a pre-chopped, 12 oz. bag of broccoli florets and used a little less than the entire bag...maybe 10 oz. 
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup, packed, torn fresh bread (no crust) *Update: you can use any bread.  I made these one night on a whim, and the only loaf of bread I had in the house was frozen.  I used a couple of whole-grain english muffins and they were perfect!
  • 1/4 cup grated onion* (...or just dice them.  See notes before directions.)
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup (4 oz.) grated sharp cheddar cheese (I used mild cheddar.)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (I didn't have a lemon on hand so I used 1-2 drops of Lemon essential oil.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

*Updated NotES:  AFTER STEAMING THE BROCCOLI FLORETS, INSTEAD OF DICING (AS THE RECIPE TELLS ME TO), I THREW THEM INTO MY MINI FOOD PROCESSOR, ALONG WITH MY DICED ONION.  SAVED ME from dicing up the broccoli and grating the onion!

Directions:
1. Steam and chop the broccoli: Place 1 inch of water in a pot with a steamer basket. Bring to a boil. Add the broccoli florets. Steam the broccoli florets for 5 minutes, until just tender. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
Finely chop the steamed broccoli florets (or see my notes above). You should have 2 to 2.5 cups.

2. Make filling: Place the beaten eggs and the torn bread in a large bowl. Mix until the bread is completely moistened.
Add the grated onion (or see my notes above), mayonnaise, cheese, lemon zest (or essential oil), salt, and pepper. Stir in the minced broccoli.

3. Distribute broccoli mixture in mini muffin pan wells:  Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the wells of 2 mini muffin pans (1 dozen wells each) or 1 mini muffin pan (2 dozen wells) with olive oil (I used olive oil cooking spray).  Distribute the broccoli mixture in the muffin wells. (***If you don't have a mini muffin tin, you can use a regular-sized muffin tin.  This, in turn, will only make 12 muffins.)

4. Bake: Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned on top.

(Watch the video for step by step help!)

*www.simplyrecipes.com