Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls



Ingredients:
  • 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1.5 cups store-bought chunky medium salsa (I used mild.)
  • 1.25 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1.25 cups frozen corn kernels (I omitted and it was still perfect.)
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
  • 4 cups cooked rice of choice
  • 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • 2 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce
  • Pico de gallo...store bought (see below)
*This recipe included a homemade pico de gallo recipe.  For the sake of the "simple dinners" thing we have going here, let's just purchase that pre-made.

Directions:
Season the chicken with salt (I peppered too), place in slow cooker, and top with the salsa, black beans, corn, garlic powder, and cumin.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.  Transfer the cooked chicken to a large plate and shred with two forks.  Return to slow cooker.  (I just shredded in slow cooker.) Add the cilantro.

DONE.

To serve, place 1/2 cup rice (of choice) into each of the serving bowls.  Top with chicken, shredded cheese, and lettuce.  Divide the pico among the bowls, along with your favorite additional toppings, and serve.


*Skinnytaste's cookbook, "Fast and Slow"