Wednesday, April 28, 2021

French Toast + Sausage Roll-Ups



Ingredients:

  • 10 slices of bread (soft and fluffy works best) (I used the Sara Lee Artesano brand.  After removing the crust, it's the perfect width to fit the sausage links, too.  P.s., with the amount of egg mixture this made, I was able to make 20 roll-ups, so I used 20 slices of bread!  See notes at bottom for directions on how I used as leftovers.)
  • 10 fully cooked (and defrosted, if frozen) sausage links (I used Jones chicken sausage from Costco!)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat.)

Directions:

  • After removing the crust from each slice, use a rolling pin (or your hands) to flatten the bread.
  • Place a sausage link on the edge of the bread and roll up tightly. (I like to press down along the seam to secure the roll.)  Set aside.
  • Add eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and flour to a shallow dish or blender and mix until smooth. (I personally think a blender or food processor is best.  Then, transfer to shallow dish.)
  • Preheat griddle or skillet over medium heat. Grease well with butter. (I used about 4 tablespoons for each batch of 10.  It seems like a lot, but the bread will soak up the butter and that's what gives it a nice crust.  Plus, when I remove from the skillet, I place on a paper-towel lined plate, to that helps to soak up any excess butter.)
  • Dip sausage roll ups into the egg mixture, rolling gently to coat all sides, and then place seam-side down on hot griddle. 
  • Cook for a few minutes, turning gently as you go, until golden brown on ALL sides. Serve warm, served with syrup.
    Notes: To serve leftovers next day, I put them in air fryer at 350 for about 5 minutes!
    *www.tastesbetterfromscratch.com