Ingredients:
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced (frozen cubes for ease)
1 large yellow onion, chopped (frozen diced for ease...I used about a cup.)
16 oz. extra lean ground turkey
1 tablespoon chili powder (For kiddos, reduce to 1/2 tablespoon.)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (This made the Joes quite spicy. I'd do 1/2 tsp. or eliminate it entirely for kiddos.)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
6 buns of choice
cheese slices, optional (see note)
Directions:
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced (frozen cubes for ease)
1 large yellow onion, chopped (frozen diced for ease...I used about a cup.)
16 oz. extra lean ground turkey
1 tablespoon chili powder (For kiddos, reduce to 1/2 tablespoon.)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (This made the Joes quite spicy. I'd do 1/2 tsp. or eliminate it entirely for kiddos.)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
6 buns of choice
cheese slices, optional (see note)
Directions:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together ketchup, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, and tomato sauce.
Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high
heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add
onion and cook, stirring as needed, for 5 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add turkey and cook until browned through, breaking it up with a
spatula/spoon as it cooks. Add chili powder, crushed red pepper (optional), salt, and pepper. Cook 2 minutes more and then add the ketchup mixture,
stirring to evenly coat turkey mixture.
5. Simmer for 5 minutes more, or until thickened. (The sauce was already quite thick for me already. I added about 1/2 cup of water and let it simmer. The sauce ends up soaking up the water!) Divide turkey mixture evenly among hamburger buns with cheese (optional) and serve immediately!
*Note: Try this if you'd like! Because I minimized the amount of red pepper flakes in the recipe, before serving, I scooped my sloppy joe on the bottom bun and topped with a slice of Pepperjack cheese. I placed it on a cookie sheet (or oven-safe plate) and broiled it for about 2-3 minutes until the cheese was melted. Top with other half of bun and enjoy! Yum!
Recipe Note: This reheats wonderfully! Pop it into a airtight container and save the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
*www.thenovicechefblog.com
