This recipe has been modified a bit from the original. I didn't like that it called for "half a can..." and "half a can...." because I didn't want the other half to go to waste. To solve that problem, I changed it to 2 pounds of meat, but when I served it, I used half the recipe and saved the other half for another time!
For a better idea, half of the recipe below will use about 10 taco shells.
Ingredients:
Hard taco shells (I used the 10 count, El Paso "Stand and Stuff" brand so I could have the flat bottom for easy filling. *If your kids aren't hard taco shell fans, you can also just make the meat filling and serve in soft shells.)
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound ground beef (I used 93/7.)
1 can refried beans
1, 15 ounce can tomato sauce
2, 7 ounce cans of mild green chilis (You're safe using one 8 ounce can if you prefer that.)
1, 1 ounce packet mild taco seasoning
1, 8 ounce bag shredded cheese
Taco toppin's - whatever your heart desires!
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Start by browning your meat in a skillet. Once cooked, drain any excess fat.
3. Stir in refried beans, tomato sauce, and the green chilis.
3. Add taco seasoning and combine.
4. Warm for 5-10 min until heated through.
5. Fill hard taco shells with mixture (I used about 1/3 cup for each shell) and assemble in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
6. Top with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
*www.arrowsandbow.com
