Monday, June 5, 2017

Easy! Four Bean Chili (with meat option!)


Ingredients:

Chili:
  • 2 large onions, chopped (I only used one large onion.  Finely dice, or even pulse in food processor if desired.)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 
  • 4 ounces tomato paste 
  • 1/4 cup chili powder 
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle powder (I didn't use because I was feeding it to my kids.)
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I didn't use because I was feeding it to my kids.) 
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped 
  • 6 cups vegetable broth 
  • One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (I suggest petite diced, so look for two, 14 oz. cans.)
  • 2 cups canned (drained) or frozen corn (I suggest sweet!)
  • One 15-ounce can black beans 
  • One 15-ounce can garbanzo beans 
  • One 15-ounce can kidney beans 
  • One 15-ounce can pinto beans 
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • Toppings Bar (optional garnishes):
    • Sour cream or Greek yogurt
    • Shredded Cheddar
    • Avocado
    • Cooked chopped bacon
    • Chopped yellow onions
    • Chopped chives
    • Sliced jalapenos
    • Corn chips, such as Fritos
    • Tortilla chips


    • Directions:

      For the chili: In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Mix in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil along with the tomato paste, chili powder, chipotle powder (optional), coriander, cumin, cayenne (optional) and garlic. Cook to toast the spices and tomato paste, 1 to 2 minutes. Then add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, corn, black beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, Worcestershire, and 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
      Serve the chili with the toppings bar.

      Cook's Note
      This recipe also works well with ground turkey or beef. Simply brown 2 1/2 pounds of ground meat (remember to season!) before adding the onions.
    • *www.cookingchannel.com (Tiffani Thiessen's)