I wouldn't really call this shepherd's pie...it reminds me more of a modern take on chicken pot pie without the crust. Whatever you want to call it, it's super easy and super good and super allowed for leftovers. I also halved this recipe, cause it serves a bunch, but if you want leftovers for the next day, make the provided full version.
Ingredients:
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (I used Yukon Gold and I didn't bother peeling.)
- 2 3/4 cups milk, separated
- 2 tbsp. butter, separated
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 onions, chopped (One is plenty. I only used half of an onion when I halved the recipe.)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and roughly chopped (I used a rotisserie.)
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder (If you're nervous, start with 1/4 tsp. I didn't find it too overpowering, but some people are weird about curry.)
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 Parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions:
- Boil a large pot of salted water on the stovetop. Add in potatoes and cover, cooking for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Add in 1/2 cup milk, salt and pepper, and 1 tbsp. butter. Mash until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pan, melt 1 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in flour.
- Whisk in 2 1/4 cups milk, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, rosemary, and curry powder. Continue to whisk constantly until it reaches a thick consistency. Add in chicken and frozen vegetables and stir for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread chicken mixture in a 1.5 quart casserole dish. Spread mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese. Broil for about 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve hot.
*I made this recipe early in the morning so by dinnertime, it had been refrigerated all day. I reheated at 350 for about 30-35 minutes (didn't bother broiling). The next day, I added a small pat of butter on top of the potatoes and reheated for same amount of time at the same temperature.
*www.simplystacie.net
