Thursday, September 15, 2016

Tortellini Mac & Cheese


By no means does this recipe classify as a "gourmet meal," but from start to finish, it took me 8 minutes to make.  And...my kids ate it right up!  
**I halved this recipe because it was just for the little ones, and it was plenty!  
See my notes below for additions and substitutions.

Ingredients:
2 packages (9 oz. each) fresh tortellini (I used cheese and spinach.  The original recipe used chicken and prosciutto.  Feel free to use any flavor of pasta you like.  Ravioli works too!)
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1.5 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, grated 
(I bought a small rotisserie and chopped up a scant 1/2 cup of chicken)
(If the pasta you choose doesn't have meat, feel free to add crumbled bacon!)

Directions:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add tortellini (or ravioli) and cook for 8 minutes, adding frozen peas for the last 3 minutes.  Drain.

Meanwhile, in a medium pot, melt butter.  Sprinkle with flour and cook, whisking for 2 minutes.  While whisking, add milk.  Stir in minced onion and pepper.  Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat; simmer 3 minutes.  

Remove from heat and whisk in shredded cheese.  Stir pasta and peas into cheese sauce (and rotisserie chicken if you're using!) and stir.  Season to taste. (I needed a pinch of salt.)

(The cheese begins to "settle" as time passes, so serve immediately!)

Family Circle Magazine, October 2016