Tuesday, July 12, 2016

One Pot Italian Chicken and Orzo

wh-oa.

Ingredients:


  • 2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces (about 1 pound)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons pesto, divided
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 cup quartered zucchini
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped (I used yellow.)
  • 1 cup uncooked orzo
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes (14.5 was hard to find, so buy a 28 oz. can and measure accordingly.  Freeze the other half!)
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (I didn't have low-sodium and it was totally fine!)
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon or (one chicken bouillon cube), optional*
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt*
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I used Romano cheese...that's what I had on hand.)

Directions:

  1. Heat olive oil in a large NONSTICK pan over medium high heat until very hot.  (I used a Dutch oven.)  Add onions, carrots, zucchini, and red peppers to hot pan.  Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté for about three minutes.  
  2. Toss chicken with 1 tablespoon pesto and add to the veggie mixture in pan.  Sauté for about two minutes, then add uncooked orzo and garlic and cook for an additional two minutes.
  3. Stir in crushed tomatoes, 2 tablespoons remaining pesto, chicken broth, chicken bouillon, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, cover, and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 8-12 minutes, or until vegetables and orzo are tender, stirring every 5 minutes so the orzo doesn’t burn and covering pot after each stir.  (The orzo does stick, so be sure to stir.)
  4. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Garnish with fresh Parmesan and parsley (optional).

Notes:

*If you omit the bouillon, then increase salt to 1/2 teaspoon.

*www.carlsbadcravings.com