Thursday, February 25, 2016
Shepherd's Pie
Ingredients:
2.5 lbs. russet baking potatoes, unpeeled
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 package (20.9 oz.) ground turkey (about 1.3 lbs.)
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 small shallots, minced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. salt
5 oz. (4 packed cups) baby spinach, chopped
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 can (14.5 oz.) low-sodium chicken broth plus 1/4 cup water
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill (I just used one package from herb section of grocery store.)
1 cup skim milk (I used 2%.)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 450. Pierce potatoes all over and place in microwave on paper towels. Microwave 9-10 minutes or until soft when pressed. Let cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble in turkey and cook, breaking apart with a spoon, 3 minutes. Stir in carrots, shallots, and garlic; season with 1/2 tsp. of the salt. (I added a couple pinches of pepper.) Cook 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and peas and cook 2 minutes.
3. Whisk broth, water, flour, and 3 Tbsp. of the dill (I added about 3/4 of the package.) Add to skillet and store to completely coat mixture. Remove from heat. (Check flavor at this point to check for need of salt and/or pepper.)
4. Cut up potatoes and mash with milk (I used a hand mixer), remaining 2 Tbsp. butter, remaining 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp. salt, (I added a couple pinches of pepper), 3 Tbsp. dill (I added the rest of the package), and crumbled feta. (Check flavor at this point to check for need of salt and/or pepper.) Spoon onto turkey mixture and spread to pan edges. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
*Family Circle Magazine, March 2016
