Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Chipotle Chicken Chowder

It's soup season!  Yummy!!

Ingredients:
1 large onion, minced
6-7 cloves garlic, minced
2 colored bell peppers, chopped (I used one red and one orange.)
1 chipotle chili, chopped and seeded (These are the canned chilis found in the adobo sauce.  Only use ONE chili!)
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 heaping cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth (1 can)
5 cups low-fat milk (*Make sure it's low-fat or soup will be too thick.)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2-3 small red potatoes, chopped
1 small can corn, drained (I used 11 oz. frozen corn.)
1 can black beans, drained
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I used rotisserie.)
Adobo sauce from chipotle chilies to taste (I used about 1.5 teaspoons.)
Shredded cheese
Directions:
Melt butter in a large pot. Saute the onion, garlic, bell peppers, and chipotle chili until the veggies are tender. Add the flour and cook 2-3 minutes. Add the broth and cook until the flour is smooth and the broth is starting to thicken, about 1-2 minutes. Add the milk and bring to a low simmer. Add the potatoes and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring quite frequently to make sure the milk isn’t burning. Add the chicken, corn, black beans, and a small amount of adobo sauce (from the canned chilis) at a time, and any additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with shredded cheese. Serves 8-10.
*www.ourbestbites.com