Thursday, June 7, 2012

Grilled Chicken Sausage, Spinach, & Mozzarella Pizza

Ingredients:
  • 3 garlic naan flatbreads (or any other prepared crust)
  • 3 chicken sausages, any Italian flavor
  • 1 cup pizza sauce
  • 12 slices fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced, or 1 cup shredded
  • a heaping handful of fresh spinach, chopped
  • fresh tomatoes, diced (about 2 tomatoes)
  • fresh basil (I julienned mine.)
  • olive oil, optional
Directions:
  1. Preheat your grill to medium high. (I preheated my grill to medium and followed the "M.O.M." philosophy...grates set at medium, off, medium.)
  2. In a skillet, cook sausages until browned and cooked through. *You can also grill them and then slice, casing on, or take them out of the casing and cook in a skillet. (I like it better out of the casing).
  3. Spread naan with pizza sauce (1/3 cup per pizza). Top with chicken sausage, fresh spinach, tomatoes, and then cheese. Once again, I used this to finely chop up the spinach.  Works wonders.  Seriously.
  4. Grill for 15-25 minutes, until the bottom of the crust is brown and crispy and the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with fresh basil and drizzle with oil. (I didn't drizzle with oil.)  *Also, you may notice that naan browns faster than the cheese melts.  Check on the bottom of the naan after about ten minutes.  If the charring happens to you, simply turn the grill to low and take the naan off direct heat.  If you follow the "M.O.M." philosophy, place in the center of the grill, where the grate is on the "off" setting.
*www.pinchofyum.com