Monday, November 21, 2022

Easy! White (but not white for me) Chicken Chili


Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion, diced (I used 1 cup frozen, chopped onions.)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 2 frozen Dorot garlic cloves.)
  • 3 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I used 1 teaspoon.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (I omitted.)
  • 2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 pounds chicken breasts, raw (about 3 large breasts)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2, 4 oz. cans green chiles
  • 1, 15 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 can corn, drained and rinsed (I used 1 cup frozen.)
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I used 1, 5.3 oz. 2% container.)
  • Your favorite chili fixins' (tortilla chips, cilantro, jalapeño slices, Greek yogurt/sour cream, cheese, avocado, etc. etc. etc....

Directions:

  1. 1. In a stock pot, sauté onions in olive oil until soft. Add in garlic for one minute and then add in all spices. 
  2. 2. In a separate bowl/plate, mash 1 cup of drained/rinsed beans with a potato masher until soft; we will use this to thicken the soup. (***I did not to this.  I actually put one whole can of drained/rinsed beans PLUS the can of fire roasted tomatoes in a food processor/blender and pulsed until semi-smooth. I don't particularly like chunks of tomatoes in soup/chili, so this was perfect!  Note that if you go this route, your chili will be more of a pink color (as opposed to "white") because of the blended tomatoes.)
  3. 3. Add chicken broth, mashed and regular beans, green chiles, fire roasted tomatoes, and corn into pot. Then add in the raw chicken breasts and cook at medium-high heat.
  4. 4. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through; this will vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts.
  5. 5. Once chicken is cooked, remove breasts from pot. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken with two forks or roughly chop.
  6. 6. Add the chicken back in, along with the juice of one lime and the Greek yogurt. (I well-combined the lime juice with the yogurt before adding to soup.)
  7. 7. Stir all together, add salt to taste (if needed), and serve with desired extra toppings.

*www.erinliveswhole.com