Thursday, February 16, 2017

Copycat Whole Foods Tabbouleh Salad

So I've been in love with this salad at Whole Foods for quite some time; it's in the prepared foods section, so luckily the list of ingredients is stated above it on a card.  The challenge was to guess the actual amounts of ingredients, but luckily, screwing up a salad is pretty difficult.  You can even add additional veggies to it; cucumbers, peppers, carrots...the crunch would be amazing! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
Lemon Vinaigrette:
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Salad:
1/2 cup dried quinoa
1/4 cup dried bulgur 
1 3/4 cup water or chicken broth (I used broth.)
1 cup kale, chopped finely  (I put one huge handful into the food processor and chopped finely.)
1 roma tomato, diced
1/8 cup red onion, diced small
2 green onions, thinly sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
Italian, flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional) (I didn't bother using.)

Directions:
To make vinaigrette, whisk vinegar, mustard, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.  Slowly stream olive oil into the vinegar mixture and whisk briskly.  Beat lemon juice into the mixture.  Set aside.

To make salad, cook quinoa and bulgur according to package directions.  Mine says to cook 1/2 cup quinoa with 1 cup liquid, bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes and let rest for 5.  For the bulgur, mine says to cook 1/4 cup bulgur with 3/4 cup liquid, bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes and let rest for 5.  *Allowing it to rest is important.  You want all the liquid to have been absorbed before combining it with the rest of the ingredients.

While grains are cooking, chop (food process) kale, onions (red and green), and tomato (and parsley if using).  Combine all salad ingredients into a large bowl and mix.  (And I actually didn't even wait for grains to cool.  Adding them to the fresh ingredients nicely perfumed the onions and brightened/softened the kale a bit.)     

I did not serve all of the salad in one sitting, so if you plan to do the same, I wouldn't dress the entire thing with the lemon vinaigrette; I would dress it as you eat it (or allow people to dress their own, rather).  So in my refrigerator, I have the dry salad and the dressing stored separately.  When ready to eat, ever so slowly, drizzle the lemon vinaigrette onto the salad.  DO NOT USE IT ALL!!  Continuously stop to mix to check how much you've moistened the salad, as you don't want the salad to be submerged in the vinaigrette.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate when you need to stop yourself from eating the entire bowl.

*Whole Foods Prepared Foods Section