Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Easy! Quick Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls


Ok, so this was really good and I promise, it took minutes to make.  The original recipe, however, was pretty vague, so feel free to modify amounts to your liking; the posted amount also only serves two, so adjust accordingly.  

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into small cubes (This is about one SMALL breast each.)
  • salt and pepper
For the sauce:
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons rice or apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (I hate ground ginger, and I know a lot of people hate dealing with real ginger.  Grating 1/4 tsp. fresh ginger would be totally fine.  I used one drop of Ginger essential oil.  Omg, amazing.)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
Additional:
  • Rice (Cook according to package directions.  I cooked 1 cup, which was 3 cups when finished, so understandably, we had tons of rice left over in comparison to the broccoli and chicken.  If you want lunch for the next day, double the chicken and sauce amounts, and steam more broccoli.  The leftover rice will be the perfect amount for tomorrow!)
  • Steamed broccoli (I steamed about 2.5 cups.)
Directions:
  1. In a small bowl or a measuring cup, combine brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, vinegar, and cornstarch. Whisk together until there are no cornstarch lumps.  Set aside.
  2. Dice chicken, add salt and pepper to both sides, and set aside.  Heat non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. (I added the smallest little drizzle of EVOO to the pan.)
  3. Chop broccoli and place in steamer.  Do not start cooking yet.
  4. Begin to cook rice according to instructions on packaging.
  5. With about 8 minutes remaining on rice, begin to steam broccoli and cook chicken until done, stirring often.
  6. Add sauce to chicken and cook stirring constantly, until it thickens into shiny glaze.
  7. Remove from heat and serve immediately with rice and steamed broccoli.

*www.crunchycreamysweet.com