Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad


Ingredients:

  • 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (I used three heads.)
  • 6 cups cubed cooked chicken  (I used a small rotisserie chicken.)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups corn (I used frozen corn and thawed it.)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups black beans (One can.)
  • 2 tomatoes, diced (I used a half container of grape tomatoes and quartered them.)
  • 1 avocado, diced (I used two.)
  • 1/2 red onion, diced (I used four green onions, thinly sliced, for a milder onion taste.)
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
  • handful chopped cilantro
  • Dressing
    • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used nonfat.)
    • 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 2 teaspoons honey
    • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
    • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
    • juice of 1 lime
    • 1/2 jalapeño, finely diced
    • 2 heaping teaspoons taco seasoning (I use mild)
    • salt, to taste and if needed

    Directions:

    1. Whisk the dressing ingredients together, except for the salt. Taste, then add salt to your preference.  (I threw all the ingredients in the food processor/blender.  I preferred not to have diced jalapeño and garlic in the dressing for people to bite!)
    2. Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl. (If you're not serving it right away, add the tortilla chips right before serving. They'll stay crunchy that way.)
    3. Spoon dressing over salad, then give everything a big toss to combine. Serve cold.
    *www.sallysbakingaddiction.com